What is Least Common Multiple Calculator
The least common multiple of two numbers is the number that can divide by two without remainder. The differences between KPK and FPB are:
- FPB is found based on a factor of two numbers. How to find FPB can be seen in this post.
- The LCM is found based on the multiple of two numbers.
How to Find Least Common Multiple
There are two ways you can find the LCM for two numbers. The first way is to calculate the multiple of each number you are looking for, then find the multiple of the two numbers. An example of finding the LCM of 6 and 10 is:
- Find the multiple of 6. The multiples of 6 are: 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, …
- Find multiples of 10. The multiples of 10 are: 10, 20, 30, …
- Based on these multiples, it can be seen that 30 is the smallest multiple of 6 and 10. So 30 is the LCM of 6 and 10.
Unfortunately, this method is only easy to use for small numbers. To find the KPK from a large number, prime factorization can be used. The method is as follows:
- Perform prime factorization for the number that the KPK is looking for. How to do prime factorization can be seen in this post.
- Take the factors with the highest rank (appearing most frequently) and then multiply them together. The result is the KPK that is sought.
For example, finding the LCM of 100, 125, and 130 is as follows:
- Prime factorize the numbers 100, 125, and 130.The result is:
- Prime factor of 100 = 5 x 5 x 2 x 2
- Prime factor of 125 = 5 x 5 x 5
- Prime factor of 130 = 13 x 5 x 2
- Take the factor with the greatest power. The result is
53, 22, 131.
- Multiply the factors to get the KPK. The result is:
53 x 22 x 131 = 6500.